Stumbling over this recently, I was drawn to the cover not only because of it's enticing imagery, but because it looked very familiar. And no wonder, as an almost identical one was used on Cultures of Soul's 'Bombay Disco' set from earlier this year.
'Disco Hits From Hindi Films' came out at the height of things and contains… well basically what is says on the box. Some of the tracks will be well known to those who have followed the blog for a while. 'Om Shanti Om' actually makes its third appearance, 'Chhodo Sanam' was featured only a few days ago, 'Jab Chaye' is as infectious as ever. Of the previously unposted stuff there's always room for some Usha Uthup in my life – 'Hari Om Hari' is cool even if it is essentially a Hindi version of Eruption's 'One Way Ticket'. With a bit of 'That's The Way I Like It' thrown in. But hey, loads of Bollywood disco has Western heritage... sometimes it just works.
Need music for the New Year's party? A quick introduction to Bollywood Disco? Or simply a concentrated fix? This one's for you then.
1. Kishore Kumar & Chorus: Om Shanti Om (from Karz)
2. Usha Uthup & Chorus: Hari Om Hari (from Pyara Dushman)
3. Anette & Kishore Kumar: Chhodo Sanam (from Kudrat)
4. Asha Bhosle: Jab Chaye (from Lootmaar)
5. Asha Bhosle, Kishore Kumar & Chorus: Yaar Ki Khabar Mil Gai (from Ram Balram)
6. Bappi Lahiri & Chorus: Yaari Hai (from Shiksha)