Before disco, there was of course the cabaret number. And considering how much these show-stopping songs have informed the whole Music From The Third Floor project I think it only appropriate that a compilation of some of the best ones should be the blog's 300th record posted.
This is one hell of a cool LP (in one hell of a hot sleeve). Ok, the tracks are edited so connoisseurs will want to search out full length versions, but any album containing 'Piya Too Ab To Aaja', 'Aa Jaan-E-Jaan', 'Mera Naam Hai Shabnam' and 'Aaj Ki Raat' (which if push comes to shove probably continues to be my favourite Bollywood song ever) in any form will inevitably be worthwhile, regardless. Add to that a couple of killer tunes from soundtracks still on my want list (come on guys, help me find 'em) and this collection has me beaming.
1. Lata Mangeshkar: Main Ik Ladki Hoon (from Nirmaan)
2. Asha Bhosle & R.D. Burman: Piya Too Ab To Aaja (from Caravan)
3. Lata Mangeshkar: Thoda Se Thehro (from Victoria No. 203)
4. Asha Bhosle: Jaloon Main Jale Mera Dil (from Chhupa Rustam)
5. Lata Mangeshkar: Aa Jaan-E-Jaan (from Intaqam)
6. Asha Bhosle: Raat Akeli Hai (from Jewel Thief)
7. Asha Bhosle: Mera Naam Hai Shabnam (from Kati Patang)
8. Asha Bhosle: Hanhama Ho Gaya (from Anhonee)
9. Kishore Kumar & Chorus: Woh Mere Pichhey Padi (from Ponga Pandit)
10. Asha Bhosle & R.D. Burman: Gulabi Chehra (from Madhosh)
11. Asha Bhosle: Reshmi Ujala Hai (from Sharmilee)
12. Asha Bhosle: Aaj Ki Raat (from Anamika)