2014 began with a collection of Charanjit Singh's reworkings of Bollywood movie hits, so why not end the year with another. Those of you familiar with these will know what to expect: a unique blend of garage-rock, lounge-pop and exotica, at times almost kitsch sounding (but in a deliciously good way) depending on his instrument of choice, all played by himself.
This one differs from the previous records featured in that it doesn't only contain RD Burman compositions. Additionally, the majority of them are from films I haven't posted the soundtracks from and thus new to me. But, just like before, everything on it sounds absolutely ace. I've heard Bollywood cover versions that sound really soulless; Charanjit Singh on the other hand seems to make everything he touches radiate with life. And joy.
See y'all next year!
1. Yeh Dosti - Transicord (Sholay)
2. O Manjhi Re - Claviolin (Khushboo)
3. Ek Main Aur Ek Too - Bass Guitar (Khel Khel Mein)
4. Aayega Aanewala - Transicord (Mahal)
5. Yeh Raat Bheegi Bheegi - Transicord & Claviolin (Chori Chori)
6. Ek Din Bik Jayega - Transicord & Claviolin (Dharam Karam)
7. Mehbooba Mehbooba - Transicord & Claviolin (Sholay)
8. Tumhen Yaad Hoga - Transicord & Claviolin (Satta Bazar)
9. Naina Barsen Rimjhim - Transicord & Claviolin (Woh Kaun Thi)
10. Tere Milne Se Pahle - Hawaiian Guitar (Ponga Pandit)