From what I gather, there are Naushad enthusiasts who really dislike 'Ganwaar'. Pandering to popular tastes or something like that. And to be fair, side one of this soundtrack doesn't sound like him at all. 'Pee Kar Sharab Khelunga' comes with an exotic sounding intro to what appears to be an atmospheric ballad, but before long the songs transforms into a peppy, poppy rock 'n' roll number. 'Tumhara Naam Kya Hai' has a similarly chirpy vibe and the lovely 'Main Hun Ganwaar', while a tad more subdued, maintains the decidedly Western feel that characterize these songs. Mohd. Rafi features on all, and you could easily be forgiven for thinking this was a Shankar Jaikishan or Kalyanji Anandji score you were listening to.
The second half sounds a bit more traditional, but no less lively. Asha Bhosle joins Rafi on the playful 'Hum We To Achhi Teri Payal' and the loud and relentless 'Tera Chikna Roop Hai'; both are great.
So purists may need to have me excused; I find this a highly enjoyable album.
1. Mohd. Rafi: Pee Kar Sharab Khelunga
2. Mohd. Rafi: Tumhara Naam Kya Hai
3. Mohd. Rafi: Main Hun Ganwaar
4. Mahendra Kapoor & Chorus: Yehi Dharti Yehi Dharti
5. Mohd. Rafi & Asha Bhosle: Hum We To Achhi Teri Payal
6. Mohd. Rafi, Asha Bhosle & Chorus: Tera Chikna Roop Hai