Moving on, and quick... from Geet to Geeta, from naff to nifty; another fab RD Burman score. And whereas most Bollywood soundtracks contain, at best, one instrumental or background music piece, this one has three - all wild, all wonderful. Full of the inventiveness that makes Burman the mad musical genius he was. The first is out-of-control Moogs, dramatic strings and surf guitars; the second is bonkers Bollywood mariachi (sort of); the third is sirens, orchestral funk and RD's own frenzied panting. All three storming along at a thousand miles an hour. Zooom!
Good songs on 'Seeta Aur Geeta' [review] as well, a few anyway. 'O Saathi Chal' is 'El Manisero' inspired with loads of cool details, 'Han Ji Han Main Ne Sharab Pi Hai' is gorgeous drunken lounge with a choppy beat, and 'Zindagi Hai Khel' is energetic, percussive... and fun!
This is the stuff my love of Bollywood soundtracks is made of!
1. Asha Bhosle & Manna Dey: Zindagi Hai Khel
2. Manna Dey: Abhi To Haath Men Jaam Hai
3. Lata Mangeshkar & Kishore Kumar: Koi Ladki Koi Ladka
5. Asha Bhosle & Kishore Kumar: O Saathi Chal
6. Lata Mangeshkar: Han Ji Han Main Ne Sharab Pi Hai
7. Title Music