I don't often buy compilations, be they of film music or otherwise, but when there's a Geeta Dutt album sitting inexpensive and unloved on eBay... that's hard to resist.
And she's my favourite playback singer. Funny that actually, considering she was long before the period in Bollywood film music I usually prefer. Something about her voice though… Music critic Raju Bharatan said "The first thing that strikes one when you hear Geeta Dutt sing was that she never sang. She just glided through a tune. Of all her contemporaries her musical training was perhaps the sketchiest but what she lacked in training and technique, she more than made up with her ability to breathe life and emotion into any song she was singing."
Highlights? There are 12 of them.
1. Babuji Dheere Chalna (from Aar Paar)
2. Ae Dil Mujhe Bata De (from Bhai Bhai)
3. Hawa Dheere Aana (from Sujata)
4. Aaj Sajan Mohe Ang Laga Lo (from Pyaasa)
5. Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam (from Kaagaz Ke Phool)
6. Kaise Koi Jiye (from Baadbaan)
7. Jaane Kya Tu Ne Kahi (from Pyaasa)
8. Jata Kahan Hai Diwane (from C.I.D.)
9. Na Ye Chand Hoga (from Shart)
10. Na Jao Saiyan (from Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam)
11. Mera Sunder Sapna Beet Gaya (from Do Bhai)
12. Ghubhat Ka Pat Khol (from Jogan)