Unsurprisingly, it's the cabaret number that highlights this otherwise not very interesting score from Sonik Omi. 'Aag Men Jale Jawani' is full of bounce and rich in detail, falling somewhere between the jazzy rock'n'roll of 60s' Shankar Jaikishan, and RD Burman's later sonic adventurousness. An excellent track.
None of the other songs are very memorable, and the arrangements fail to excite me. There are nice bits here and there, like the hypnotic groove on the first two (Narendra Chanchal sung) minutes of 'Kya Lekar Aaya Hai' and the psychedelic sounding intro to 'Yaad Rahega', though not really enough to make the soundtrack to 'Umar Qaid' essential.
1. Manna Dey, Mahendra Kapoor, Sonik, Chanchal, Mahendra Pal & Chorus: Kya Lekar Aaya Hai
2. Asha Bhosle, Minoo Pushottam, Mohd. Rafi & Chorus: Phinjoda Bhak
3. Lata Mangeshkar & Mukesh: Yaad Rahega
4. Asha Bhosle: Aag Men Jale Jawani
5. Asha Bhosle: Yun Na Dekh Mujhe