One more Shankar Jaikishan soundtrack. 'Barsaat' [review]  is notable for being the duo's very first score, instantly successful and a first-rate beginning to an illustrious career.
Every elegantly arranged song, most of them performed by Lata Mangeshkar, is noteworthy; melodically sublime and rhythmically striking. 'Barsaat Men Ham Se Mile' and 'Patli Kamar Hai' were apparently (at least according to Wikipedia) the first title song and cabaret number respectively in a Hindi movie. Both are wonderful, but it's the dramatic, deliciously exotic sounding 'Bichhde Hue Pardesi', 'Ab Mera Kaun Sahara' and 'Chhod Gaye Balam' that I mostly come back to these days.
There's no filler here though. This is a top notch album, marred only by the slight truncation of songs to fit them all in. The full length versions can be heard on YouTube.
1. Lata Mangeshkar: Jiya Beqarar Hai
2. Lata Mangeshkar: Mujhe Kisi Se Pyar Ho Gaya
3. Lata Mangeshkar & Mukesh: Patli Kamar Hai
4. Lata Mangeshkar: Bichhde Hue Pardesi
5. Mohd. Rafi: Zindagi Men Hardam
6. Lata Mangeshkar: Hawa Men Udta Jae
7. Lata Mangeshkar: Ab Mera Kaun Sahara
8. Lata Mangeshkar & Mukesh: Chhod Gaye Balam
9. Lata Mangeshkar: Meri Aankhon Men Bas Gaya
10. Lata Mangeshkar & Chorus: Barsaat Men Ham Se Mile