I think it's fair to say that hadn't it been for the 60s/70s masala beat and funk stuff, Burman and Kalyanji Anandji et al., I wouldn't have been as much into Bollywood soundtracks as I arguably am. But I'd still have been a fan of Geeta Dutt; with all due respect to Asha and Lata, she's my favourite of the female playback singers. So when a vintage O.P. Nayyar score comes along which has her singing on all but one of the tracks, odds are I'm going to like it. And I do.
'Aar Paar' is a lovely album, packaged in a gorgeous sleeve. Soothingly sweet melodies and subtle rhythms all around; 'Hoon Abhi Main Jawan', 'Sun Sun Sun Sun Zalima', 'Babuji Dheere Chalna' and 'Ye Lo Main Haari Piya'... tonics for jaded ears, the lot of them. You can't ask for more than that.
1. Shamshad Begum: Kabhi Aar Kabhi Paar
2. Geeta Dutt: Hoon Abhi Main Jawan
3. Geeta Dutt & Mohd. Rafi: Sun Sun Sun Sun Zalima
4. Geeta Dutt: Ja Ja Ja Ja Bewfa
5. Geeta Dutt: Babuji Dheere Chalna
6. Geeta Dutt: Ye Lo Main Haari Piya
7. Geeta Dutt & Mohd. Rafi: Muhabbat Kar Lo Jee Bharlo
8. Geeta Dutt & Mohd. Rafi: Na Na Na Na Tauba Tauba