Although Naushad isn't among the music directors I actively look for, there are a few of his scores I rate highly. I've posted one of them before; here's another.
To my ears, 'Amar' [review] falls into the same general category as 'Detective' and 'Chhalia', full of enchanting melodies, exotic arrangements and old world charm. It's hard to pick highlights, but check out 'Oodi Oodi Chhai Ghata', 'Radha Ke Pyare Krishna Kanhai' and 'Na Shikwa Hai Koi' for starters; all wonderful. And the gorgeously evocative 'Dance Music' is one of my favourite Bollywood instrumentals. Is it just because I've played it so often that it sounds particularly familiar, or has it been sampled somewhere?
1. Lata Mangeshkar & Chorus: Oodi Oodi Chhai Ghata
2. Mohd. Rafi & Chorus: Insaf Ka Mandir Hai Yeh
3. Asha Bhosle: Radha Ke Pyare Krishna Kanhai
4. Lata Mangeshkar & Chorus: Umangon Ko Sakhi
5. Lata Mangeshkar: Janewale Se Mulaqat
6. Dance Music
7. Lata Mangeshkar: Tere Sadqe Balam
8. Asha Bhosle: Ek Baat Kahoon Mere Piya
9. Lata Mangeshkar: Khamosh Hai Khewanhar Mera
10. Lata Mangeshkar: Na Shikwa Hai Koi
11. Lata Mangeshkar: Na Milta Gham To