Laxmikant Pyarelal's good songs, and there are a few, are not only awesome, they usually also sound uniquely their own; not at all like any of their contemporaries. Listen to 'Aa Jane Jaan', which while bearing all the hallmarks of your average psyched-up westernized Bollywood number (horror effects, organs, unusual percussion, jazzy grooves, crazy intermezzos, screams) really is something else. Lata Mangeshkar sounds amazing... one to rival 'Aaj Ki Raat' for atmosphere, this is a definite favourite of mine. Stunning!
Elsewhere on 'Intaqam'... 'Mehfil Soyee' is pretty cool; lively rock 'n' roll in a Shankar Jaikishan vein. And, how many songs do you know that end with a hiccup? 'Kaise Rahun Chup' does.
1. Mohd. Rafi: Jo Unki Tamanna
2. Lata Mangeshkar: Geet Tere Saaz Ka
3. Lata Mangeshkar: Kaise Rahun Chup
4. Lata Mangeshkar: Aa Jane Jaan
5. Lata Mangeshkar & Mohd. Rafi: Hum Tumhare Liye
6. Lata Mangeshkar: Mehfil Soyee
PS. Couldn't find an appropriate YouTube clip for 'Aa Jane Jaan'... seems to be a famous song though, as I did find this.