Despite its title, and despite the film being labelled a thriller, the soundtrack to Guru Dutt's "C.I.D." sounds nothing like what I generally associate with crime film music. While I wasn't necessarily expecting a gritty, urban jazz Henry Mancini or Lalo Schifrin type score, it was surprising to find songs as easy-going as on this O.P. Nayyar effort.
It's rather nice all the way through, although I'm unable to really pick out highlights; the music sort of floats pleasantly along without any particular tracks nor bits of them sticking out. All were apparently hits. Opener 'Yeh Hai Bombay Meri Jaan' is sweet and curiously rustic sounding, and at the opposite end 'Ankhon Hi Ankhon Men' is similarly bright and cheery. 'Kahin Pe Nigahen Kahin Pe Nishana' and 'Leke Pahla Pahla Pyar' have more of an exotic feel. My favourite is probably the Latin-tinged 'Jata Kahan Hai Diwane', sung by the producer's wife.
1. Mohd. Rafi & Geeta Dutt: Yeh Hai Bombay Meri Jaan
2. Shamshad Begum: Boojh Mera Kya Naam Re
3. Shamshad Begum: Kahin Pe Nigahen Kahin Pe Nishana
4. Asha Bhosle, Shamshad Begum & Mohd. Rafi: Leke Pahla Pahla Pyar
5. Geeta Dutt: Jata Kahan Hai Diwane
6. Geeta Dutt & Mohd. Rafi: Ankhon Hi Ankhon Men