There are several S.D. Burman scores made between 1969 and 1971 that I have a great fondness for, and while 'Naya Zamana' might not be among the best of them, it certainly has its moments.
Inevitably(?), it’s the cool jazz/beat-tinged drug den number 'Wah Re Naujawan Aaj Kal Ke' that stands out. Rahul Dev Burman was a frequent assistant to his father at this stage; it's easy to imagine he had a hand in arranging this one too. Otherwise the songs have a more traditional feel; some upbeat and percussive like 'O Champa, O Chameli', while others have a softer, more subdued feel. 'Choron Ko Sare Nazar Aate Hai Chor' and 'Naya Zamana Aayeag' in particular are growing on me; Lata Mangeshkar sounds lovely on both.
It’s been a long time since I last posted anything by the elder Burman, but I'm happy to say there’ll be a few in the coming months.
1. Lata Mangeshkar: Choron Ko Sare Nazar Aate Hai Chor
2. Lata Mangeshkar: Naya Zamana Aayega
3. Kishore Kumar: Wah Re Naujawan Aaj Kal Ke
4. Lata Mangeshkar: Rama Rama Ghajab Huyi Gawa Re
5. Kishore Kumar: Duniya O Duniya
6. Lata Mangeshkar: O Champa, O Chameli
7. Manna Dey & Mehmood: Chalta Phirta Hotel